In the next couple of weeks there are tons of opportunities to get energized, leaner and support local.
In addition to several upcoming events hosted by Yourishment (see below), you should not miss the City Market on Saturday! It opened last weekend with a bang - over $42k in sales, according to Stephanie Maloy, market manager. And, yes that's a record breaker!
Of course, it was fabulous to catch up with friends on both sides of the tables. But I was especially thrilled to gather some of our local bounty straight from the source. My little market cart was bursting with Babes in the Woods sausages, Double H Farms kale, spring onions, eggs and bacon, local catfish from CSF (made a delicious Thai Catfish Curry) and some parsley and cilantro seedlings from Radical Roots (that barely survived the walk home!). There were even local strawberries!
I eat local because it's the healthiest and most sustainable choice for my family. Take eggs, for example. Pastured eggs (the kind you'll find at our local markets) are virtually guaranteed to give you at least double the Beta Carotene, Vit A, Vit E and Omega 3 of the standard, factory farmed USDA eggs.
But I'm also passionate about growing our local economy. Did you know that if each VA family spent just $10/wk on local food we'd generate $1.65 billion for the state? That's good for all of us! So, if you haven't already, make a pledge snd then do it. It's so easy to get great seasonal deals at our area markets. But you can also find them the rest of the week at one of our many local grocers - Relay Foods, Whole Foods, Market Street Market, C'ville Market, Integral Yoga and Rebecca's, to name just a few.
Speaking of the local economy, check out the Tom Tom Founders' Festival launching this weekend to celebrate original music, public art and entrepreneurial innovation. TTFF launches on Founders Day (April 13), curates a month of creative activity throughout downtown Charlottesville, and culminates in a festival weekend, May 11, 12 & 13. I'll be dong a free workshop as part of the festival (see below)!
Don't miss this weeks round-up of fabulous FREE events...
- TONIGHT - Fri, Apr 13 - Tom Tom Founders Festival launch block party at McGuffy
- Wed, Apr 18 - Chew on This potluck with Sweetness Without Sugar author Wendy Vigdor-Hess
- Thu, Apr 19 - Yourishment Designer Diet Workshop w/ the C'ville Trade School and TT Founders Festival
And get these future ones on your calendar now...
- Sat, April 21 - meeting for Planting Seeds Festival fundraiser for elem. school gardens (3-5p @ 1109 E. Jefferson St)
- Wed, April 25 - meeting for Elementary School Gardens (5-7p at Buford Middle School)
- Thu, April 26 - Yourishment Nourshing for Fat Loss Teleseminar group (ongoing, 2nd and 4th Thursdays)
- Thu, May 3 - Charlottesville City School Board has school food on the agenda. Stand up for more local and cooked-from-scratch food for all of our students! (CHS Library, 5pm)
Hope to see you at one of these great events!